Global Green USA| 16.11.2011|
After weeks of deliberation, we announced the 10 finalists for our green school makeover competition, including public, private, and charter schools from a pool of more than 200 entries from across the country. Finalists were chosen based on the clarity and description of the school’s green challenges and need for a makeover. Each of the applications included proposals for green improvements, such as planting organic vegetable gardens, creating recycling programs, and adopting energy efficiency upgrades.
On December 6, one grand prize winner will be selected to receive the ultimate Green School Makeover, which includes $65,000 for school renovations and an additional $65,000 worth of technical assistance. Four runner-up schools will be awarded $2,500 each to make their school more sustainable.
The 10 Finalists for the Green School Makeover Competition:
- Garlough Environmental Magnet School; West St. Paul, MN
- New York French American Charter School; New York, NY
- Prosser Career Academy (CPS); Chicago, IL
- Samuel Powel Elementary School; Philadelphia, PA
- Scattergood Friends School; West Branch, IA
- South Berwyn School District (Heritage Middle School); Berwyn, IL
- Texas School for the Deaf; Austin, TX
- The Academy for Global Citizenship; Chicago, IL
- West Miami Middle School; Miami, FL
- Zimmerman School House, Inc. d/b/a Abi’s Place; Coral Springs, FL